Friday, December 4, 2015

Writing Letters- It's more than Writing to Santa

(Thanks Miss Kate's Cuttables for the graphic!)
When you think of writing during the Christmas season you may just think about having your students write letters to Santa. I have a list of ideas for you to do with your students that will broaden your writing horizons!

1. Letters to the elves from the younger grades- let me explain. I teach second grade. One of my most dear projects I enjoy is having my students write to Santa's elves. Whatever they want to write. Then I buddy with an older grade and they are the elves. Their job is to write back to my students as an elf. I am always sensitive to students believing in Santa, but the older person's job is to keep it magical for the younger students.

2. Opinion Writing: Convincing the head elf that you are qualified to be one of Santa's elves. This is always hilarious to read.

3. Letter to Jack Frost asking him about how he controls the weather. Another idea: a letter someone pretending they are Jack Frost explaining how snow forms. (Great for a science lesson!)

Whatever you choose to write about this holiday season, remember this is a season of fun! Regardless of what age you teach, make sure to go through the basics of letter writing and the writing process.

Enjoy teaching letter writing this holiday season. If you are interested, I do have a packet available in my store to explore further holiday letter writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment