Thursday, September 17, 2015

Directed Drawing for Snot Stew

We have been reading a read aloud Snot Stew by Bill Wallace that is so much fun! The kids have loved the book. I've been trying to figure out something to do that would tie it all together. Eventually I'll put together a comprehension packet, but I've never read it before this year. I've been reading about Directed Drawing over at Step in Second Grade. She's been doing a couple of different ones, and this has been caught my heart. It looks like fun and I have been wanting to try it. So today, after finishing the book, we did a directed drawing of a cat. Here is the beginning works of the cat:


Our next task is to trace the pencil with black marker, then color. Afterwards, we will answer a question from the book, "Are you more like Toby, or Kiki the cat?" I cannot wait for these to be done. This proved to be something we could fit into a ten minute period of time. The next task will take a little more time, but what a great project!

I decided to skip the part of tracing with black marker. I think in the future I will, but I wanted to able to finish up and do the quick write, too. I asked them to decided whether their were like Kiki or Toby (two cats in the story). They came up with wonderful reasons! This was a quick way for me to see handwriting, the ability to answer questions, ability to give a reason, and usage of capitals and periods. LOVE THIS ACTIVITY! Try it and show me what you can do!



No comments:

Post a Comment